Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 09:30:55 +1300
From:      "Michael A. Williams" <mike@netxsecure.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Read-Only Filesystems

How about applying the immutable flag (uchg) with chflags to selected
branches of the file system tree and in combination with kernel
securelevel 2 then a reboot at the console into single user mode is
required to reverse the immutable state of the files.
In the end this comes down to physical security of the console.

cheers,
Mike.

"Crist J. Clark" wrote:

> I was recently playing around with the idea of having a read-only root
> filesystem. However, it has become clear that there is no way to
> prevent root from changing the mount properties on any filesystem,
> including the root filesystem, provided there is no hardware-level
> block on writing and there is someplace (anyplace) where root can
> write.
>
> Is that accurate? I guess one must go to a "trusted OS" to get that
> type of functionality?
> --
> Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.edu

Michael A. Williams, InfoSec Technology Manager
NetXSecure NZ Limited, mike@netxsecure.net www.netxsecure.com
Ph.+64.9.278.8348, Fax.+64.9.278.8352, Mob.+64.21.995.914