Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 12:21:49 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        <Chris_Brent@orixnrdpo1.ccmail.compuserve.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI bus on a Compaq Prolinea466

On Dec 27, 19:36, <Chris_Brent@orixnrdpo1.ccmail.compuserve.com> wrote:

}      Hi, I'm trying to install FreedBSD 2.0.5 R2 from CD onto a Compaq
}      Prolinea 466. I managed to make a boot floppy and tried to boot it.
}      Once the kernel got to probing the pci0 bus I got a pci Multimedia
}      [NOT supported] and the boot got no further. Now I also have an old
}      Compaq file server so I tried running it up on that. It works okay.

Hmmm, the probe finds some PCI card, but then stops ???

Could you please try booting with "-v" entered at the
"Boot: " prompt, and send all NUMBERS from lines with
pcibus_setup() or pcibus_check on them, and the LAST
few lines printed ?

}      Now can I recomplile the kernel to not probe the pci bus then get this
}      onto a floppy and run the install procedure?

You could compile a kernel without the "controller pci0"
line, to completely disable PCI probes. but I doubt that
this solves your problem, since I never heard of any PCI
system that locked up in the PCI probe ...

Another possibility would be to try /sys/i386/isa/pcibus.c
from the FreeBSD-current sources.

Reagrds, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160