Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2024 00:58:55 +0100
From:      Jo Durchholz <jo@durchholz.org>
To:        virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Contributing the build of a KVM image

Hi Pete, hi all,

thanks for the info!

Onwards to the next question:
What would be the right place to ask questions about how to run `make`?

In case this is already the right place, here they are:

1) I'm worried that make will write files to directories that I'm not
aware of, or even overwrite stuff it has no business overwriting.
How to I make sure that it does not write anywhere except
~/projects/freebsd (which is the place where I want to experiment with
the freebsd build)?

2) I want to build the Vmware Vagrant file and its dependencies; what
would the correct make target be? (I tried to figure it out but gave up
when I saw it's include files; I don't know what to look for when
figuring out from where they might be called.)

3) I need to run make on a Linux box. I'm aware of make.py; is there
anything specific I need to consider when building Vagrant files?
In particular, I'm vaguely worried that something inside the Makefiles
will want to install FreeBSD binaries, which would fail but I'm not sure
how much damage a failing build process might do? (Probably nothing, but
since the Vagrant stuff is in a "release" directory, this might be a
less well tested part of the build process, so better ask rather than be
sorry.)

Regards,
Jo