Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 13:01:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        Jason Lixfeld <jlixfeld@idirect.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DLINK 21140 Card

The D-Link cards I am familiar with have a nice chipset, but a piss-poor
connector. Instead of using all 8 pins for the RJ-45 connector, they try
to save about $.0005 per card by only using the 4 TX/RX pins. This
results in lots of intermittant connections. An intermittant connection
on a switching medium (10/100) can cause lock-ups like you are
reporting. We discontinued carrying that card for this exact reason.

My recommendation would be to make sure you have good strain-relief on
the cable, and lateral support if possible. Or replace the card...

If it is not a physical connection problem, you may have buffer
overflows. Do you get any erros in /var/log/messages? Does dmesg report
"deo timeout"?

Kevin