Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2012 21:57:57 +0100
From:      Olli Hauer <ohauer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        apache@freebsd.org
Cc:        Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: devel/apr1 removal of python27 and perl5 dependencies

On 2012-12-07 19:20, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> The devel/apr1 port currently has dependencies on python27 and perl5.
> This makes it a royal pain to build for example subversion from source.
>
> A closer inspection of why python and perl5 are included results in
> the following:
>
> python27: the port patch modifies the build environment to test for
> modern, that is > 480000 and > 502102, versions of FreeBSD.  I think
> it is safe to assume that the port is indeed running on more modern
> than that.  During the re-run of buildconf python would be needed.
> However the buildconf is already pre-populated in the distribution
> tarball and a re-run is no longer required.  That removes the python27
> dependency.
>
> perl5: the port doesn't depend on perl5 in any way.  There are some
> perl scripts in the tarball to convert from unix line ending to win32
> line endings.  Again, this is only needed for generating a distribution
> tarball, if at all.  That removes the perl5 dependency.
>
> I've compiled devel/apr1 just fine without python27 and perl5 on a
> 10-CURRENT from this week.
>
> The diff is below.

Hi Andre,

I agree we can remove perl, but I would keep the buildconf part
(calling buildconf is the documented way to build APR).

Without calling buildconf we have to do some more work which is doable
but should be compared with the documented way on every update.

additional changes needed:
- new patch(es) for OSVERSION (cross compiling and tinderbox)
- s/-lpthread/pthread/ in configure scripts
- s/void main/int main/ in configure scripts

Even then we will loose some FreeBSD specific adjustments.
To get a handy diff run `make configure' with and without your changes
then do a

> sed -i '' -E 's|^configure:[0-9]+:|configure::|g' work/apr-1.4.6/config.log
> sed -i '' -E 's|^configure:[0-9]+:|configure::|g' work/apr-util-1.4.1/config.log
> diff -NruEb work.save/ work/

I'm planing to modify the port in near future to enable the CRYPTO part per
default and make usage of the new OPTIONS_RADIO and OPTIONS_GROUP params.

--
Regards,
olli