Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 11:36:29 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Thomas H. Ptacek" <tqbf@enteract.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        tqbf@enteract.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Privileged ports...

>    ...and creating a gaping security whole at the same time. I sure hope
> you're not doing this on any shell account machines and you completely
> trust any users that you have.

Read the entire message before responding, please.

Again, obviously, if you're using ruserok() authenticating daemons, or
anything else reliant on a binding to a privileged port as a sign of
local privilege (such as the mount daemon's check), the ability to
compromise resv_uid or resv_gid is a problem.

Of course, it's absolutely no more of a problem than it is now - it's just
as hard to compromise an individual UID as it is to compromise root.
Either way, you're going to wind up doing it through a hole in rlogin or
rsh. However, with configurable uids and gids for privileged port binding,
a hole in rlogin isn't going to get you root... just the potential to get
root via interactions with other daemons.

However, if no such daemons are present on your system, the ability to
bind a privileged port doesn't do much for you at all. A network without
rlogind, rshd, and NFS shouldn't be too concerned, and there are other
reasons to use the rlogin client besides the lame ruserok() trust thing.

Incidentally, the patch I posted changes nothing in the way privileged
ports work (by default). You'll still need suser() to get at a low port,
unless you override it with sysctl, which was all I was going for.

Thanks for your comments.

Thomas Ptacek at EnterAct, L.L.C., Chicago, IL [tqbf@enteract.com]
"If you're so special, why aren't you dead?"