Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 2002 09:21:00 -0500
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Michael.Schuster@sun.com, freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why would Sparc be soo sloow?

On Monday 09 December 2002 04:06 am, Michael Schuster wrote:
= Mikhail,
=
= (I read -digest, so this may already be answered)
=
= > I'm puzzled by the poor performance of our SparcIII @900MHz.
=
= You need to give us some more information to even give an educated guess,
= things like
= - memory installed
= - no# of CPUs installed

Two SparcIIIs on the SunFire, one Pentium4 on the Dell. But the program
is single threaded/processed.

= - other HW config aspects, like storage in use, etc for both (!)
= machines, as well as characteristic of the application, such
= as
= - memory footprint
= - I/O behaviour, etc.

Very little -- all the program is doing is computations -- the CPU is
the bottleneck on both machines. It calls the same financial formula
over and over -- for the same set of numbers. The numbers -- 8 double
values per call -- are read using scanf(3) from a file, and the result
-- 7 double values per call are written with a printf(3) to /dev/null.

There are no file being opened/closed by the program at all...

= Is anything else happening while you're testing, or do you have
= exclusive access to the machines?

Yes, there is. But not very much. And, once again, I'm measuring the CPU
time, not the total time.

= - iostat
= - vmstat *
= - mpstat *
= - prstat

= For obvious reasons, I cannot offer to analyse any data for you, I
= hope though that this will get you going.

I don't believe those utilities are going to help much -- this is a
very simple program, with virtually no IO. The simple top(1) shows,
that it is only limited by the CPU, and I remain puzzled by the speed
difference, as well as by the high "system" time component on Solaris:

mi@attila:~/fxpr/test (70) time ./fxprt < ../tasks.txt > /dev/null
819.11u 819.41s 28:35.00 95.5%
mi@attila:~/fxpr/test (71) /usr/bin/time ./fxprt < ../tasks.txt > /dev/null

	real    28:27.5
	user    13:35.6
	sys     13:39.1

Very suprising, for, according even to truss(1), the program makes no
system calls at all after the few at startup -- except for the very
occasional read(2) and write(2) (to /dev/null). Indeed, on FreeBSD the
"sys" part is negligeable.

Is there a known problem with sys-time accounting on these systems:

	mi@attila:~/fxpr/test (76) uname -a
SunOS attila 5.8 Generic_108528-13 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R
	mi@attila:~/fxpr/test (77) uname -X
	System = SunOS
	Node = attila
	Release = 5.8