Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:57:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc.d, and changes to /etc/rc?

:
:On Tue, Nov 17, 1998 at 09:01:38PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
:> On Sun, Nov 15, 1998 at 11:59:38PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
:> [ Creating /etc/rc.d, populating with scripts to start/stop system
:>   daemons, tweaking /etc/rc* to use these scripts instead ]
:>
:> > What are people's thoughts on doing the same thing to the base system?
:>
:> Well, the silence has been deafening. I've had three positive comments
:> by private mail, no negative comments by private mail, and nothing on
:> the list at all. Not even a "Take one step down that road and we
:> *will* kill your firstborn". Is everyone asleep?
:>
:> If there are no more comments by Thursday I'll take it as tacit agreement,
:> and go ahead. I'll do sendmail first.
:>
:
:	I'm surprised to hear this.  I'd say go with it.  The
:	differences between BSD and the SYSV rc files|directories
:	is one of the most significant differences between the two
:	models.
:
:	Your ideas would be a win-win.
:
:	gary
:
:
:--
:   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix
:
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message

    This would be a pretty involved project.  I'm not sure of the
    merits.  /usr/local/etc/rc.d is already supported, though
    not in the same way sysv works.

    Currently /etc/rc is monolithic, but it also only deals
    with rc.conf related things and has both the /etc/rc.local,
    /etc/rc.conf.local, and /usr/local/etc/rc.d extensions. I'm
    not sure how beneficial it would be to migrate /etc/rc to
    a sysV style startup interface.  I've used both, and I
    actually kinda like the FreeBSD interface better... it
    concentrates on startup and doesn't try to get fancy.  SysV
    startup interfaces tend to start to fail when you start
    customizing your configuration.  I've never found them to
    be useful.

					-Matt

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)