Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 1995 12:02:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      julian@tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI ASC-ASCQ descriptions

> J Wunsch writes:
> >
> > I rather thought of an LKM to interpret the ASC's.  Syslogd could
> > load it... :-)  At least, the strings are no longer _static_ then.
nice idea, but we need it earlier then that, as Peter says...

> I tried it this morning.  It adds 4982 bytes of kernel bloat
> to put all the "additional sense code"/"additional sense
> code qualifier" descriptions in the kernel.
I wonder if compression would help in any way?
there are lots of words that are common....
e.g. "ready, audio, logical, unit, required, progress, error, not "

I'm really  tempted to make a program to do this... :)
(and print it)

> Shall I commit this?
yes, I would, but it might be good top make an option to leave it out..
(a SMALL option?)