Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 2002 17:28:23 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Frank Heitmann <fh31415@gmx.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Basic mail and Sendmail problem

On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 05:10:30PM +0200, Frank Heitmann wrote:

> When I know try to send a mail to 'userone' with 'mail -v userone'
> I get the following error (same error in /var/spool/clientmqueue):
> userone... Connecting to localhost.mydomain. via relay...
> userone... Deferred: Connection refused by localhost.mydomain.

Sounds like you don't have the sendmail MTA daemon running.  To check
that, see if there is anything listening on usual sendmail ports:

    happy-idiot-talk:~:% netstat -a | grep 'smtp\|submission'
    tcp4       0      0  *.submission           *.*                    LISTEN
    tcp46      0      0  *.smtp                 *.*                    LISTEN
    tcp4       0      0  *.smtp                 *.*                    LISTEN

and the process table:

    happy-idiot-talk:~:% ps -auxww | grep sendmail
    root      102  0.0  0.4  2804 2240  ??  Ss    2:30PM   0:00.30 sendmail: accepting connections (sendmail)
    smmsp     105  0.0  0.4  2700 2192  ??  Is    2:30PM   0:00.01 sendmail: Queue runner@00:30:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue (sendmail)

Another good place to look is the mail log file /var/log/maillog ---
every time your system deals with an e-mail or sendmail starts up or
shuts down, there will usually be one or two or three lines added to
the log file and those lines can give valuable clues about why it's
all going horribly wrong.

What do you have in your /etc/rc.conf that's sendmail related?  Have
you made any significant modifications to the sendmail configuration
--- that should be to the /etc/mail/myhost.mc file, which you can
generate by running 'make' in /etc/mail if you haven't got one
already.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way