Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2017 14:03:08 +0000
From:      Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11 <freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org>, "Conrad E. Meyer" <cem@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: couple of nvidia-driver issues

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 11:31:51AM +0200, Andriy Gapon wrote:

> I have reported a couple of nvidia-driver issues in the FreeBSD section
> of the nVidia developer forum, but no replies so far.
>
> Well, the first issue is not with the driver, but with a utility that
> comes with it, nvidia-smi:
> https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1026589/freebsd/nvidia-smi-query-gpu-spins-forever-on-freebsd-head-amd64-/
> I wonder if I am the only one affected or if I see the problem because
> I am on head or something else.
> I am pretty sure that the problem is caused by a programming bug related
> to strtok_r.

I'll try to reproduce it and report back.

> The second issue is with the FreeBSD support for the kernel driver:
> https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1026645/freebsd/panic-related-to-nvkms_timers-lock-sx-lock-/
> I would like to get some feedback on my analysis.
> I am testing this patch right now:
> https://people.freebsd.org/~avg/extra-patch-src_nvidia-modeset_nvidia-modeset-freebsd.c

Unfortunately, I'm not an expert on kernel locking primitives to give you
a proper review, let's see what others have to say.

> Also, what's the best place or who are the best people with whom to
> discuss such issues?

Yes, this is a problem now: since Christian Zander had left nVidia, he
could not tell me who'd be their next liaison to talk to from FreeBSD
community. :-(

./danfe