Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 17:20:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr (Jean-Marc Zucconi)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving CD audio data around with HP 4020i

In article <9712232138.AA20778@cabri.obs-besancon.fr> you wrote:

>  >> Now, given these seperate sources, can anyone tell me how to read them
>  >> back on to the harddisk, and then to write them back on to a merged
>  >> CD?

>  > Use DOS and some commercial CDR mastering software. :-(

>  > Sorry, but that's the same answer we came up with when we embarked
>  > upon this same road here at Walnut Creek CDROM.  Some audio CDs have
>  > very short gaps in between songs and this information is destroyed
>  > (and a frisbee produced) with any of the UN*X based mastering
>  > solutions we tried.  I wish I could remember the name of the DOS
>  > software we now use for this now but it totally slips my mind.  DOS,
>  > not being multitasking, is actually an ideal platform for a
>  > does-it-all CDR software solution since there are no drivers to get in
>  > the way nor any competition for the CDR or disk.  A friend from the
>  > Linux camp went through this same process and now swears by the DOS
>  > solution - he tried all the Linux solutions and they all sucked in the
>  > same ways that the *BSD solutions did. :-(

> If your CD is audio only (not audio+data) you _can_ burn disks with
> arbitrary gap length between tracks, even 0 second gap (useful for
> live recordings). I have burned 10s of them, all on FreeBSD :-)
> You just need the right program.

do you remember which program does that?

to comment on quoted text by jkh -

	This sounds like wrong statement.  Granted, it takes a little
	time to learn how to use cdrecord on Linux, but then I was able
	to write multi-session (data and audio) CDs with tracks copied
	by cdd on FreeBSD.  On Linux, it was done under X with lightly
	loaded system, separate SCSI buses for disk and recorder,
	and 2-speed writer. Recently, a FreeBSD port of cdrecord was done.

	A stripped-down system (no daemons running, no networking except
	when downloading files to be written to CD) - just console -
	should not get any competition as you describe it.  You can
	even run single-user.

	Of course, if you don't know how to use FreeBSD or Linux for this
	correctly, it is your right to use DOS from Micro$oft - after
	all, they also made NT, which is better than Unix in networking . ;-)

	As for short gaps, well, there is `disk at once' mode which allows
	to write any data to CD.  But then, let me quote README.audio from
	cdrecord package by Joerg Schilling:

<<<<
Cdrecord crently only supports Track at once. This gives 2 seconds
pause between two audio tracks.

The 2 seconds pause between two audio tracks is the CD ***standard***

The standard says:
        Each track starts with 2 seconds of silence
        followed by at least 4 seconds of audio data.

For that reason the 2 second pause is generated by the CD-R drive in
Track at once (TAO) mode.

CD's that have no pause bewteen two tracks are illegal.
These illegal disks may be made with Disk At Once (DAO) only.
In DAO mode the writing software needs to send the 2 seconds pause as
binary zeroes and therefore is able to create illegal disks by
sending audio data instead.