Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 19:41:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Rohit Rakshe <rakshe@cs.umn.edu>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Copying user <---> kernel

Hello,

I am sure people have thought about this one, but just that I could not
find any discussions about it:

Consider a server which receives data over network, does some operations
on the data and sends it back over the network. The kernel could spent
most of its time copying data to and from user space. (the operations are
performed in the user space).

The following can be done to avoid this overhead:

Say, I want to copy a page from user space to kernel, I can just pin it in
physical memory; then attach it to kernel page table. (similar thing for
other way round).

Is this kinda thing implemented ? If not, is it feasible ?

Thanks everyone !

- Rohit