Date:      18 Aug 1999 17:25:02 -0700
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>, Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Default FDP docs installation directory?

 * From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>

 * Because it's not part of the base system (i.e., under the src/ tree in
 * the repository).  I was under the impression that this is a reasonably
 * formal rule (i.e., anything that's not in src/ gets installed under
 * /usr/local/ (or wherever the appropriate Makefile variable is set to))
 * but that some things ignore it.

The rule is reasonably blurred, since doc falls somewhere between src
and ports.  However, [Free]BSD docs have been installed under
/usr/share/doc for a long time, and I don't see why this should be
changed now even if the sources have moved slightly.

 * 				    For example, the Japanese manual pages
 * install under /usr/share/man/ja, not /usr/local/share/man/ja.

That is because they match stuff in /usr, not /usr/local.  I think
it's better to keep manuals and the programs they refer to close to
each other in the hierarchy.

Satoshi