Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 11:00:13 +0100 (BST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Ewan=20Carr?= <ewancarr@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IKE/Racoon

Can anyone clear up an ambiguity (in my mind anyway)
in RFC2409 (IKE).

Say you are using a pre-shared key for authentication
in Phase 1 negotiations.

RFC 2409 says that the SKEYID value for authentication
is calculated thus..

For signatures: SKEYID = prf(Ni_b | Nr_b, g^xy)
For pre-shared: SKEYID = prf(pre-shared, Ni_b | Nr_b)

where g^xy is the DH-generated shared key.
and N* are the nonce values

The value SKEYID_A is then calculated from

prf(SKEYID,SKEYID_d | g^xy | CKY-I | CKY-R | 1)

(SKEYID_d is just anothe generated from SKEYID,
the cookies and the diffe-hellman shared secret)

What I dont understand is why for the pre-shared
key method of authentication you need to generate
this additional diffe hellman shared key. Does this
actually happen or is the 'formula' above just
confusing..

Ta,
Ewan