Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 1995 10:03:39 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        ramin@rus02.rolta.com (Ramin  Mahmoodi)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network Setup

> We have just recently purchased a FreeBSC 2.0.5 and installed it on a 486
> machine. We are unable to get it to communicate with the rest of our
> network. What parameters and files do we need to setup ?

Didn't you go through the host IP address setup during the installation process?

In a nutshell:

in /etc/sysconfig you have to set the hostname=host.domain

This name should also be in /etc/hosts like:

nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn  host.domain

You should have a network interface that is set up correctly to one of
the defaults. You can check this looking at the output of the

dmesg

command. See if your network card has been recognized. The listed
irq is the assumed default value. Your card setting has to math this value.

You can type    /kernel -c  at the bootprompt to change the values of your
network card in the kernel. E.g.:

/kernel -c

port ed0 0x300
irq ed0 10