Date:      Sat, 02 Dec 2000 11:23:37 -0600
From:      Bob Martin <bob@buckhorn.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP Tricky config

Jamie Heckford wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Heres what I want to do, any ideas people?:
>
> This is a medium sized LAN.
>
> When people log onto the network (Windows workstations powered by fBSD servers)
> I want them to be assigned a tempoary IP address via DHCP. When they
> authenticate with there user/pass, I want them to be assigned a dedicated /
> static IP based on their username, so where-ever they go in the office
> (different desks etc.) they always have that IP.
>
> Reason being it is easier to implement User level Filtering options.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Jamie Heckford
> Chief Network Engineer
> Psi-Domain - Innovative Linux Solutions. Ask Us How.
>
> ===================================
> email:     heckfordj@psi-domain.co.uk
> web:     http://www.psi-domain.co.uk/
>
> tel:       +44 (0)1737 789 246
> fax:       +44 (0)1737 789 245
> mobile:    +44 (0)7779 646 529
> ===================================

The problem with this concept is that the computer get's the ip when the
NIC starts, not when the user logs in. Your best shot is to come up with
a way to dynamically update the filter based on the users current ip.
You could probably do this with a combination of perl and Samba running
in NT domain controller mode.

Good luck.

Bob Martin
--
As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.