Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:27:28 -0700
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean-freebsd-isp@chittenden.org>
To:        Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boa small/fast web server

--m51xatjYGsM+13rf

	Boa's an excellent static content web server, I've been very
impressed with its performance and hackability (just make sure that
you know it can get any file that's world readable).  How many file
descriptors do you have?  -sc

> Badly worded technical question:
>
> When a program opens a socket for listening, and someone connects, is a
> copy of that socket handed over to the process that owns it (with the
> original socket remaining open for immediate further connects), or does
> the process use that socket and then have to recreate the listening
> connection?

	The former was closer.

> Is anyone else using Boa having this problem? Any tips in general on how
> to optimise FreeBSD 4.2R for Apache and/or Boa? It's basically a stock
> GENERIC kernel with non relevant devices removed. Boa was compiled from
> original archive rather than via the ports collection, so that may be an
> issue too.

	Do you have different IPs for boa and apache?  You should be
able to compile boa from src or ports.  I personally would recommend
using ports, but that's up to you.

> This is the same machine that was crashing a while back, it's now running
> on all DIMM instead of SIMM+DIMM and it's been running well, just rarely
> above 0% idle. Boa has changed that, but at what cost...

	boa shouldn't be a problem, I've had a hacked boa server
pushing 2000 connections a second on a P200 IDE box.  It's probably
kernel tweaking that needs to happen.  -sc

--=20
Sean Chittenden

--m51xatjYGsM+13rf

--m51xatjYGsM+13rf--