Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 1996 12:04:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        MOROHOSHI Akihiko <moro@race.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port of unclutter-8

On Mon, 19 Aug 1996, MOROHOSHI Akihiko wrote:

> From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
> Subject: Re: port of unclutter-8
> Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 12:24:10 -0400 (EDT)
>
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > >    I made the port of unclutter, which is in the contrib of X, and put
> > > it in ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/ as unclutter-8.tar.gz.
> (snip)
> > Andreas Kohout has already given a port of unclutter to the list.  I guess
> > I better get busy and commit it.  Sorry.  I will look at your port, tho,
> > and send you comments.  Thanks for the work.
>
> How can I find whether a software has been already ported or not?
>
> In this case, i cannot find unclutter-* in either ports-current or
> ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/incoming (other than mine).

Actually, in this case, if you weren't reading the ports list, you really
couldn't have known.  Normally, folks drop a copy off in incoming on
ftp.freebsd.org, or maybe (if they're really nice) use send-pr to announce
it.  I like it if they use send-pr, because it stands as a reminder, and I
can be mentioned as the responsible party, so it catches up to me.

He put the port on the list about a week and a half before you announced
yours.  I haven't committed it, because I have been in a discussion with
Satoshi about how to handle X11 ports (how to reroute them out of
X11R6/bin) but I think I'll have to commit it today.

Andy didn't put a copy in incoming, and didn't use send-pr.  I don't see
how you could have known, unless maybe you checked the mailing list
archives for the word 'unclutter'.  Hopefully, this won't happen again, I
really hate it when people do work, and get slapped in the face for it.
Your work was good, I hope you send in more!

> Thank you.
>
> MOROHOSHI Akihiko <moro@race.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
> Courses. of EEICE, Fac. of Eng., The Univ. of Tokyo
> RACE, The Univ. of Tokyo

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |