Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 1995 03:02:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Anderson <partek@indecent.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and the Promise 2300+ EIDE controller

> Try this (with LBA off):
> Install DOS on just a small (5MB or so) chunk at the beginning.  You
> may find this chunk useful in the future anyway since you can put DOS
> based diagnostics and such there.  Now install FreeBSD on the rest of
> the space, allowing it to get the geometry from the DOS partition.
> Let me know what happens.

Well, it didn't work. I disabled the external BIOS on the EIDE controller
like a few people had mentioned to me, and that seems to have worked.
The only problem I had is that it doesn't write the MBR properly.
I get a "NO ROM BASIC, SYSTEM HALTED" on boot.. So I boot from the floppy
with the wd(1,a)/kernel thing and it works fine. I had only installed the
bin and manpages packages, so the system was too limited to use much.
Though at least I know it works now. I'm going to stick with Linux for
now, and order the FreeBSD CD from Walnut Creek when I get some extra
money.

BTW, it'd probably be a good idea to compile support for PPP(So pppd can
be used instead of that archaic ppp program) into the GENERIC kernel.

Also, there's a really kewl thing for Linux that I don't think I could
live without called gpm. If you're not familiar with it, what it does is
lets you copy and paste stuff on a text screen with the mouse. It's
wonderful for those hard to type or rediculously long filenames.
Is there such an animal for FreeBSD?

Thanks,
Dave