Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 1995 14:18:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        rashid@rk.ios.com (Rashid Karimov)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple http servers - howto ?

> > > I have read that some http servers (probably some machines at NCSA)
> > > are actually a cluster of servers attached to the same ethernet. Client
> > > transparently contact one of the servers. I would like to know how this
> > > is achieved, e.g.
> > >
> > >   i) by supplying different IP translations for the same name;
> > >  ii) by a clever use of ARP
> > > iii) by some other technique which I do not know
> >
> > #1.  Via DNS.  The requesting hosts are rotored through a list of the
> > addresses.
> >
> > It isn't a very good scheme, mostly because caching exists.
>
> 	It is importante that you provide 0 expiration times
> 	for the corresponding A records - so that (at least RFC compliant)
> 	DNS servers will not cache the record ....

Not necessarily something you WANT to do either, however.

> 	There are a few pitfalls in http ... namely lack of support
> 	for multiple WWW domains on the same computer(the URL gets
> 	stripped, so the server never sees the domain name in URL)
> 	and the mechanism for authentic redirection to the mirror Web site -
> 	in case when the first server is overloaded or/and is under maintenance.

Yes, although this can be done under an OS such as FreeBSD, with careful IP
aliasing.

www.xyz		IN	A	206.55.64.140
		IN	A	206.55.64.141
www.abc		IN	A	206.55.64.142
		IN	A	206.55.64.143

Where 206.55.64.{140,142} are on one box and 206.55.64.{141,143} are on
another.  During maintenance of one machine you can even temporarily assign
the other machine's addresses to the first machine...  not that I've tried
it.

> 	Would be great if this issues could be addressed in future
> 	implementation of the hhtp proto... will take some time tho
> 	to upgrade all the servers and browsers

It would make sense to provide a cleaner interface, yes.  But it can be done
with today's technology.

... JG