Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 22:46:53 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Linux install

Chuck Robey wrote:

> I just had to go help a friend install a Linux system.  He's a true
> newbie, and it doesn't look like he's headed towards programming, so
> when I couldn't talk him out of leaving Windows (which he's pretty good
> at), I figured Linux is probably more friendly, and shoved him towards
> RedHat.  I didn't want him complining that I had him on what I think of
> as a programmer's system (FreeBSD, of course).
>
> Heck with that, it's the last time I try Linux.  Their install is
> nowhere near as easy as FreeBSD's, at least to him and I.  From what I
> can tell, they don't even have usermode ppp at all, and getting their
> kernel mode ppp working hasn't been fun.

No arguments about any of that from here... I recently built a new
computer here, and since a friend of mine uses Linux (he's not all bad
though -- I don't think he uses emacs), I figured I'd borrow his CDs
and try out Linux. (SuSE, I don't know what version of SuSE or of the
Linux kernel, at least with FreeBSD you know that version 3.2 is 3.2
is 3.2, and you don't have to put up with different versions for the
distribution and the kernel.)

Anyway, the install was terrible. Loads of stuff I had *no* interest
in selected by default (like KDE and loads of other crappy window
managers), which FreeBSD quite rightly puts in ports. Oh, it refused to
have a swap partition bigger than 128MB as well, for some reason. Other
stuff annoyed me. In FreeBSD, I normally make my root filesystem
about 32MB, and give most of the rest of the disk to /usr, and then a
reasonable amount of swap. It turned out 32MB wasn't enough for the root
filesystem in Linux... *sigh* They probably put emacs and all their
bloated crappy window manglers in /bin or something. Little niggling
things as well, like needing three CDs for a "base" system, when you can
get a FreeBSD base system from just CD1.

Needless to say, the machine in question is happily running
FreeBSD-stable now, and I hope I never have to use Linux in any shape or
form again.

</rant>

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and