Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 19:01:32 -0600 (CST)
From:      George Vagner <vagner@ti.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange message

At 06:53 PM 1/19/98 +0000, you wrote:
>> i am getting a message when i run ppp -alias -ddial pmdemand
>> the message says :
>>
>> "tcp: cant open socket 3000 no password in ppp.secret."
>>
>> but it dials and logs in fine?
>>
>> i do have a password in ppp.secret though?
>>
>> any ideas?
>
>Does `hostname' output the same name as the one in ppp.secret ?
>Also, if you get the latest ppp, you can specify this password on the
>`set server' line (which now must be there).

I will check this and reply.

>> heres another i am not getting any logging in /var/log/ppp.log
>>
>> i made shure that
>>
>> !ppp
>> *.*     /var/log/ppp.log
>>

>> was in /etc/syslog.conf as the man page says but it was already there so i
>> didnt have to touch it.
>>
>> any clues?
>
>Perhaps /var/log/ppp.log doesn't already exist.  You need to create a
>zero length file if it doesn't.  This should be done by newsyslog(8).

Aha! the zero lenth file is there but i did notice messages in my mailbox
that say:

newsyslog: preposterous process number: 0

the subject line is :

cron <root@bud> /usr/sbin/newsyslog

>Also, make sure that *only* tabs are used in syslog.conf.  Syslogd is
>quite particular about this.

yes tabs are only used.

>> vagner@ti.com
>
>--
>Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <brian@OpenBSD.org>
>      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;
>Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour....

Laszlo Vagner
Texas Instruments
Email:vagner@NOSPAM.ti.com
Pg. 598-5217