Date:      Wed, 13 Apr 2016 21:56:47 -0400
From:      Kurt Lidl <lidl@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Importing NetBSD's blacklist project into FreeBSD

Greetings all -

This is just a quick note to alert the FreeBSD development community
that I've posted a review for the import of the NetBSD "blacklist"
project into FreeBSD.

The reviews for the basic import and hookup of the blacklist system
into the build process are here:

	https://reviews.freebsd.org/D5912
	https://reviews.freebsd.org/D5913

The rational behind the system is given in the first referenced
review, which is Christos Zoulas' presentation at vBSDcon 2015.

I think the system is a very reasonable framework to allow for
real-time notification of attacks, feeding to a single daemon
process, which maintains a persistent on-disk database. The daemon
can then invoke a helper script to affect packet filtering changes
as needed. It's driven from a text configuration file, and it is
pretty easy to add support to more programs in the future.

Thanks for your interest, and I look forward to any discussion
about the merits of the system and the patches to implement it
in FreeBSD.

Thanks.

-Kurt