Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2020 15:56:51 +0300
From:      Anthony Pankov <ap00@mail.ru>
To:        Igor Mozolevsky <igor@hybrid-lab.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: is there a future for user accounting (getpw* replacement)

=C7=E4=F0=E0=E2=F1=F2=E2=F3=E9=F2=E5, Igor.

=C2=FB =EF=E8=F1=E0=EB=E8 17 =F4=E5=E2=F0=E0=EB=FF 2020 =E3., 15:01:14:

> On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 at 11:15, Anthony Pankov via freebsd-hackers
> <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I'm   wondering  has  anybody  any  thoughts  about  user  accounting
>> provided at the system level?
>>
>> It seems that getpw* doesn't suit the needs of application services.
>> All  applications has some external/internal mechanism for storing and
>> retrieving  user  properties  (settings,  roles etc). Furthermore they
>> implement own security policy based on this mechanism.
>>
>> Mostly it is done via LDAP connection or internal store (as for database=
).

>> It seems that all application developers will be more happy if OS will
>> have a few functions to do the things such as:
>> - list users of some type;
>> - get user properties specific to application;
>> - get  user roles specific to application
>> -?
>>
>> Does   anybody   has   thoughts  about  what  OS  must provide to keep
>> applications consistency and make developers happier?

> I think it's dangerous to conflate *application* users with *system*
> users, why would you want to do that in the first place?

That is the question!

First  of  all, I think there was no technical opportunity to conflate
applications  and  system  users at least because uid_t is 65535 max and
lack of custom user properties.

I can note some Cons for splitting *application* and *system* users:

-  users  of  one application is not a users of another application by
design. Applications is hard to integrate (yes, there is ldap but...);

- each  application  has  own accounting implementation which enlarge
attack surface. Furthermore, application developers do not really want
to  implement  any  user  accounting  parts because it is far away from
application   functioning.   As   a  result  it  usually  implemented
"somehow".

-  applications  users  are  out  of  system  control.  There is a system
users,   application   users,   and   daemons.  It seems there  is  no
 chance   to  do  the  thing  really  right  in mean of access control
 of entire system (OS +applications).

- etc.

--=20
=D1 =F3=E2=E0=E6=E5=ED=E8=E5=EC,