Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 14:29:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>, Clifton Royston <cliftonr@lava.net>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [long] Server motherboard recommendations for 4.X/5.X?

Doug White wrote to Eric Anderson:

> On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Eric Anderson wrote:
>
> > Has anyone recommended Dell stuff?  I'm sure they'll have
> > something that fits you.  I use all kinds of their stuff for
> > FreeBSD, and the the RAID controllers are supported in FreeBSD
> > easily.
>
> Not really ... I just evaled a PowerEdge 2650 and a 1650.
>
> [...]
>
> I can't recommend Dell at this time...

Agreed. Last time I talked to one of their Senior Sales Reps (about 6
weeks ago), ready to start an account where I'd be purchasing 10-15
units/month, it was quite a conversation. The last part of it went
something like this:

Dell: "No, we don't give volume discounts on the PE350s. I
       don't care if you buy 1,000."
Me:   "That doesn't help me sell servers"
Dell: "Why not? [Dell is so good]"
Me:   "If my customers can buy one server for the same unit
       price I can buy 1,000, why would they buy from me?"
Dell: "[Because Dell is so good]"
Me:   "I've received quotes from other system builders for less
       than 2/3 of these prices, for better hardware"
Dell: "Probably a 'clone'. [Clones suck, Dell is so good]"
Me:   "Your systems use most of the same hardware"
Dell: "Oh?"
Me:   "Yeah, many of your hard drives come from IBM, CPUs are
       Intel or AMD, and the chipsets on your motherboards
       are fairly standard, etc, etc.."
Dell: "We make our own motherboards"
Me:   "So they're proprietary"
Dell: "No, they're Dell certified. Maybe Dell isn't for you"
Me:   [Laugh] "Obviously. Thanks for the insightful dialogue"
Dell: "Thanks for choosing Dell"
<click>

I am now mostly building my own systems again. :-)

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

  901 1st Avenue North - Saskatoon, SK - S7K 1Y4

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon