Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 1997 16:25:05 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw rule to bounce to another router

Is there an ipfw rule that can be used to bounce people to another router?
Basically, we have a router which routes 192.168.1.* addresses, but thats
it--I would like it to bounce all other things to our primary internet
router.  This would normally not be a problem, but we have macs on the
same network as other boxes, and the macs dont let you define more than
one router.  Up to now its been ok because our ISP has been bouncing
192.168.1.* routes back to our internal router, but they keep getting new
people and changing the configuration--so I figured perhaps I could just
get our end working (which is on a FreeBSD box)..

Basically, I'd like the last rule to be something like

ipfw add x forward any via ed0 to A.B.C.D via ed0

(where A.B.C.D is the other router).  To explain by example.. we have a
basic ethernet network (no bridges), 206.81.134.1 is the internet router,
206.81.134.97 is the localnet bridge/firewall/router.  I would like the
macs to point to .97 for all requests, and have .97 take anything which it
doesn't want to handle and forward them to 206.81.134.1.  The router our
ISP uses is a CiscoPRO, and it does this (but only when they dont delete
it from the config).

-Brandon Gillespie