Date:      Thu, 12 Dec 2002 14:28:38 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg?= Sonnenberger <joerg.sonnenberger@web.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Broken <utmp.h>

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 02:46:03PM +0100, Jörg Sonnenberger wrote:
> I am porting terminal emulator from Linux to (Free-)BSD and got a nice
> error message from #include <utmp.h>. I am using FreeBSD-current.
> This file uses int32_t without including stdint.h, so it fails if my sources
> doesn't include the later. Is this behaviour intended or has noone tried
> to do this before?

In the FreeBSD world (and probably in the other BSDs) it is common
to require people to include the prerequisit headers, rather than
having them pulled in automatically. Having to include <sys/types.h>
is the most common symptom of this.

The prerequisits are documented in the man pages, so if you look
at "man 5 utmp", it documents <sys/types.h> as a prerequisit for
<utmp.h>.

The prerequisits are usually in accordance with POSIX, or some other
standard. There is work in progress in FreeBSD 5 to make sure the
headers are up to scratch in this respect.

	David.