Date:      Sat, 4 Oct 1997 14:36:41 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        Hetzels@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup release identity

> I agree that it needs a little work in order to support cvs & ctm.
> One thought is to make .ctm_status a permant part of the source tree
> and to have an additional file .cvs_status that would be used to track
> version #'s of source files that have changed between each CTM delta.
> That way a CVS user could pull down modified source files and know how
> far off from the CTM delta they are.

Reverse the thinking.  Make .cvs_status a permanent part of the tree,
and increment it each and every time a change is comitted.  Then there
is a known place to get a marker of where along the line of updates a
particular system resides.

As someone else said, there is a large difference between a 2.2-STABLE
system updated the day after the CD-ROM was released, and one updated
yesterday.  But how is one to know where they are?  We see regular
requests from folks trying to help out some other stuck person, asking
more detail about what versions they are running.

I'd like "uname -r" to return something like "2.2-STABLE-AB" where the
AB gets bumped on each and every commit.  How to make that happen seems
pretty well understood.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)              Brother, can you paradigm?
602-953-1392  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com  crl22@aol.com