Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 2009 08:42:04 +0100
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
To:        Trevor Blackwell <tlb@tlb.org>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB serial device naming

--AOVdNAQjoPfa0oJU

Hello Trevor,

* Trevor Blackwell <tlb@tlb.org> wrote:
> I can't seem to find a way to match USB serial ports & tty names. I
> have two serial USB devices, which I can distinguish easily from
> "usbconfig show_ifdrv"
>=20
> 	<snip>
>=20
> and they result in two ttys:
> 	/dev/cuaU0
> 	/dev/cuaU1

Be sure to keep in mind: the `real' TTY devices are ttyU0 and ttyU1. The
cua* devices are callout devices, which unlike the tty* devices don't
wait for a carrier detect signal during open().

My opinion is that the USB serial driver shouldn't use a bitmask to keep
track of which unit number are available, because we've got a nice KPI
for that:

	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dnew_unrhdr

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question. Hopefully Hans can. ;-)

Cheers,
--=20
 Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/