Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 15:51:23 -0600
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syncer / SMP question

On Feb 02, 1998 at 09:26:43PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > I'll also note that it appears possible to pass a NULL third argument to
> > vfs_busy() and thus have it not release the lock on the mountlist.  Then
> > simple_unlock would be called explicitly in the sync() function, also making
> > things clearer.
>
> I don't know if this would be correct.  The way it's written now allows
> interleaved access to work.  The mountlist isn't reordered, generally.

I "played computer", as you put it, and realized that a NULL
argument isn't possible, since the routine could call tsleep,
and it releases/reaquires the lock around the sleep call.

> I can get the first, but I have to do the second in my head; it's not
> really worth doing this to code that is relatively inoffensive compared
> to some of the more glaringly offensive code that's there for me to
> stare at instead (NFS, anyone?).

Little steps first, baby steps... that's it.  :-)  Some of us
are still trying to understand the basics here.

> If you fix the big problems, the small ones take care of themselves.
> A friend of mine likes to say this another way: "Obstacles are what
> you see when you take your eyes off your goals".

And I think you tend to fall flat on your face when you don't
watch where you are going.
--
Jonathan