Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 18:18:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>
To:        Dexter McNeil <dexter@backtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: user account/password sync between machines?

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Dexter McNeil wrote:

> I've got a project that involves two identically configured machines that
> are providing DNS and remote user SSH login. The systems are configured
> such that the users log into 'host', with each machine's DNS server
> returning it's IP address in response to a lookup of 'host'. The idea being
> that if one machine goes down, the other machine will still respond to DNS
> lookups and users will still be able to log in. All of this seems to work
> nicely in testing.
>
> The remaining piece of my puzzle for this is a method of keeping the user
> accounts sync'd between the two machines. I've looked into hacking up the
> adduser.perl script to allow for remote operations on the master.passwd
> file on the two machines (use a third machine to contain the master
> database & publish it to the two remote machines), however I'm wondering
> if anyone has found an easier solution to this type of problem. I'm not in
> a position to implement RADIUS or LDAP at this point, the two machines
> need to be self contained, except for an optional administration machine
> who's availability (or not) won't impact the operation of the two login
> servers.
>
> Any suggestions??

We run this script from cron every 5 minutes to sync passwd dbs on
two machines. Note, there may be some cut/paste errors.

HTH,
--jeff

#!/bin/sh
DATE=`date`

SERVERS="\
        machine.domain.com \
"

for server in ${SERVERS}
do

  /usr/local/bin/rsync -ptog -e /usr//bin/ssh /etc/group $server:/etc/group

  if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
     echo "$DATE: rsync of /etc/group to $server failed" | mail root
  fi

  /usr/local/bin/rsync -ptog -e /usr/bin/ssh /etc/master.passwd $server:/etc/master.passwd

  if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
     echo "$DATE: rsync of /etc/master.passwd to $server failed" | mail root
     break                 # No need to continue
  fi

  /usr/bin/ssh $server /usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd

  if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
     echo "$DATE: pwd_mkdb failed on $server" | mail root
  fi

done