Date:      Fri, 4 Sep 1998 15:59:14 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        doconnor@gsoft.com.au (Daniel O'Connor)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, jkoshy@FreeBSD.ORG, asami@hub.freebsd.org, ports@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports with asm files

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> Yeah, maybe you're right, but I think it is a big ask for a port maintainer
> (not author) to write Alpha code.. Changing the asm to support elf is a PITA
> but its not hard, whereas recoding x86 assembly into alpha code would suck.

I'm not asking for that. I ask people to consider structuring the port
so that it can select the files to compile based on the machine architecture.
If asm code for a particular architecture is not available (though it often
is now that there is Linux/Alpha), the port should use generic C.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137