Date:      Fri, 3 May 2002 20:46:12 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Marco Beishuizen <mbeis@wxs.nl>
Subject:   Re: printing via a JetDirect 600N printserver

On Sat, 4 May 2002, Marco Beishuizen wrote:

> Well, my question is how to print... Apsfilter needs to know about the
> IP adress and hostname of the printer. How do I know what the hostname
> and the IP adress of the JetDirect are?

IP address and hostname?  Or IP address and queue name?

JetDirects used to have a default address of 192.0.0.192, I think,
although that may not be the case any more.  If you can telnet to the
JetDirect, you can change the IP address and its local hostname.

Some of the cheaper units may not have a default IP address assigned.
You might have to run HP's JetAdmin software to configure these units
initially.  Dunno if there's a version of JetAdmin for anything other
than Windows.

After an IP address has been assigned, you can set up a hostname in
/etc/hosts.  (I've never been sure what purpose the hostname set in the
JetDirect itself serves, other than when you have a bunch of them you
can verify that you've got the right one.)

There are two queue names you can use: "raw" is an untranslated queue
that just passes everything through (most likely what you want), and
"text" does some cooking of the input.