Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 2002 18:47:35 -0500
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
To:        Kyunghwan Kim <redjade@ada.snu.ac.kr>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mballoc kernel thread

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 02:35:49AM +0900, Kyunghwan Kim wrote:
> I made a mballoc kernel thread that fills up mbufs and mbuf clusters
> when number of mbufs/clusters of its general list is under low watermark
> along with suggestions that Mr. Milekic has made around late November.
>
> http://redjade.org/doc/patches/mballoc_kproc.diff
>
> It seems useful until and even after kmem_malloc() is out from under Giant.
> Would someone please comment upon the diff and questions below?
>
>  - Appropriate watermark check rate
>  - How to use mballoc [via wakeup] in mb_alloc() efficiently when it needs
>    to allocate a new page
>    [Hardest for me to decide because of lack of experience...]
>  - M_WAIT or M_NOWAIT in memory allocation of mballoc kproc
>  - Strategy for high watermark wash out
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Kyunghwan Kim
> redjade@ada.snu.ac.kr

  First of all, thanks for taking the incentive to work on FreeBSD code.

  With that said, I wish you had contacted me before the code-writing
  began because I'm currently working on a version myself.

  From a quick glance, your code is OK but the kproc needs to do more
  than just replenish the caches.  It needs to be able to flush out the
  caches back to VM when necessary, at least, and should be able to
  perform some sort of basic auto-tuning on the watermarks.  Yes, I do
  see that you have all of this in a "TODO" comment.

  I don't really know what
  to tell you because I'm working on the exact same thing (and I
  mentionned in the Emails you brought up that I would be) except just
  keep your code and go ahead and finish what you had intended but I
  doubt that I'll be looking at integrating it before I finish my
  version.  Maybe then we could merge the two, or something.  Heck, I
  don't know.  It's not really like doing this is difficult so I don't
  know how we would resolve the conflict.

--
Bosko Milekic * bmilekic@unixdaemons.com * bmilekic@FreeBSD.org