Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:16:30 -0500
From:      Sean Welch <Sean_Welch@alum.wofford.org>
To:        jcoombs@gwi.net
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS Boot

Hello, Joshua!

It has been a while since I did it (had to replace the hard drive in
my FreeBSD box -- a Dell Inspiron 8000), but I had a netboot working
just fine with the software from a few months ago.  I did it with an
iBook.

You do not have to find a way to ignore file locking -- you just
need to make sure these lines are in both the server and client
rc.conf files:

rpc_bind_enable="YES"
rpc_lockd_enable="YES"
rpc_statd_enable="YES"

As I recall, since NFS mounts occur after most of the system is
already up a couple of things wouldn't work the way you might
expect.  For one, /var isn't mounted fast enough so a default one is
created.  This just means that your boot logs won't be persistent
because they are getting created on a memory backed device.  You
can see this happening if you watch the boot sequence.  The other
thing that happens is that those rpc daemons don't get started during
boot.  Just start them manually after the netboot completes and you
can log into the client.  After that you should be able to run
adduser and passwd without any issues at all.  (The commands you
want are /usr/sbin/rpcbind , /usr/sbin/rpc.statd , and
/usr/sbin/rcp.lockd -- I believe you have to start statd before
lockd)

Good luck!  Let us know if that worked for you.

Sean