Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 2006 13:47:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "R. B. Riddick" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new class / geom_cache / request for comments

--- Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> How do you allocate memory for the cache ?

I use malloc(9), which has strange parameters. I just copied it from another
line and adapted it appropriately... The cache is a continguous piece of memory
with a size of a integer multiple of the stripe size (g_cache_softc->cache).
For each cached stripe there is a cache info struct in another piece of memory
(g_cache_softc->cache_info).

> Is it a fixed size cache ?

Yes, it is. There is just a tunable:
  kern.geom.cache.cache_size
  (default: 8)
which is used when the provider is created.

Maybe we should use a parameter in the meta data and in "gcache label/create"
respectively?

-Arne