Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 09:28:24 -0400
From:      exidor@nimbus.superior.net (Christopher Masto)
To:        scott@statsci.com (Scott Blachowicz)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Quantum sticktion

Scott Blachowicz writes:
> Well, my Quantum Empire 1400S finally decided to stop spinning up...I've
> noticed that it seems to take several hits of the reset button before it would
> spin up and after turning it off yesterday, it just won't spin up. Now, when I
> turn it on, I hear three little rumbles while it tries to spin. Any idea if
> there is a reasonable remedy? Should I just smack it around a bit? Other
> suggestions? (no, I don't have that much experience trouble shooting hardware
> problems...:-)). Maybe I should give Quantum a call first...

If it's actually a case of stiction and the drive is out of warranty, and
you've tried twisting it sharply with no luck, and you don't want to take
it apart..

You can try the method that works on an old 105LPS that I have.  Whack it
with the handle of a screwdriver.  If that doesn't work, whack it harder
and turn it on at the same time.

Have fun :-)
--
 / Christopher Masto \   /   Superior Net Services  \   / Your vote counts  \
| exidor@superior.net | | $24.95/month unlimited use | | Support free speech |