Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 20:43:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        sabine225@home.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup is overkill for me

sabine225@home.com wrote to questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> On Friday, October 12, 2001, at 05:54 PM, Philip Paeps wrote:
>
> > It's not *that* difficult, is it?
>
> It's horrendous.
>
> I don't want CURRENT I want STABLE, STABLE sounds better.

I think in your other post you mentioned wanting to track security
updates, and maybe updates of certain ports (Apache). Security updates can
be tracked by subscribing to the freebsd-security-notifications mailing
list, and following the directions in the security notices which apply to
you, to apply the fix or workaround.

As for updating Apache, etc.. There are numerous ways (portupgrade) to
upgrade the port, if you really need to. In fact, a standard buildworld
won't compile your ports or hand-installed 3rd party applications.

cvsup is great for developers and interested people who want to track
-STABLE or -CURRENT, but if you just want security patches and maybe the
odd port upgrade, cvsup IS overkill. :-)

> But all the docs say no problem just say
> tag=something_from_a_list_somewhere_that_no_one_seems_to_tell_you_where_it_is
>
> Tell me is it, "RELENG_4" ?

Yes, currently 4.4-STABLE

> [...]

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon