Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2012 11:00:55 -0700
From:      Rudy <crapsh@monkeybrains.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ping: sendto: No buffer space available

On 09/25/2012 01:37 AM, Hooman Fazaeli wrote:

>> dev.em.1.link_irq: 6379725883

>> dev.em.2.link_irq: 6379294926

> Based on the strangely high value of dev.em.1.link_irq (which means too
> many link
> status changes: down -> up -> down -> ....), I guess the problem is the
> same as
> discussed in these threads:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2011-November/030424.html
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2012-March/031648.html
>
> To confirm, you may run this test:
>
> 1. Start a ping flood: ping -f <other-machine-ip>
> 2. Let it run for a few seconds.
> 3. Disconnect the cable.
> 4. After a while, you should see "no buffer space" error.
> 5. Stop ping flood.
> 6. Re-connect the cable and wait 10 seconds.
> 7. Start a normal ping. Error messages should show up again.
>
> To fix, upgrade to the latest e1000 driver from HEAD.
>
> The very high link_irq may be due to a loose connection.
> Replace the patch cord and see if it helps.

Thanks for the tips.  I will test next time I am at the data center.
For now, I rebooted after doubled the default nmbclusters and quadrupled
the hw.em.rxd values in loader.conf.

# loader.conf
kern.ipc.nmbclusters=524288
hw.igb.rxd=4096
hw.igb.txd=4096
hw.em.rxd=4096
hw.em.txd=4096

Rebooting and/or the settings change seems to have stopped the errors.
Here is a pretty little graph showing error rate on em1 for the past 3 days.

  http://www.monkeybrains.net/images/ErrorRate-em1.png

Rudy