Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:10:31 -0700
From:      Steve Reid <sreid@sea-to-sky.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD database server questions

I will soon be setting up a database (among other things, for now)
server running FreeBSD 4.1-R. This will be doing the usual web-type
transaction processing.

Any tips? Specifically...

I'd prefer to run an open-source RDBMS; PostgreSQL and Interbase look
like the contenders (I'm not interested in MySQL). First-hand
experiences? I'll probably end up testing them both but if there's
anything specific I should be watching out for I'd like to know
beforehand.

Vinum? RAID-1 mirroring seems to be a minimum. Can I assume that RDBMSs
will be able to take advantage of RAID-10 concurrency? The vinum man
page has a "gotchas" section; any other foot-shooters I should be aware
of?

Also, what about softupdates? As I understand it, softupdates is like
async writes except the writes are re-ordered so as to prevent the disk
from ever being left in a corrupt state. Is it possible for this
delaying and re-ordering to interfere with a RDBMS's ACIDity? Should I
stick with sync writes for the RDBMS space?

TIA.