Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:31:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <joeo@cracktown.com>
To:        markemmanuel <lists@markemmanuel.org>
Cc:        "Questions freebsd.org" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Gaming on FreeBSD...

The linux emulation layer isn't really an emualtor in the *BSD's.  They
are a minimal set of shims that allow syscalls made by a running linux
binary to work.  They are an alternate set of syscalls, which are wrappers
arround the native freebsd ones.  When a linux binary is executed the
binary image "activator" recognizes it as a linux binary and sets up the
process table/syscall table entries for this new process telling the
kernel that for this process these shims are the entry points for any
syscalls that happen, instead of the native bsd ones.

There is really no overhead for using these shims.

The main difference in gaming on a freebsd box instead of a linux box is
that their are some differences in the way the schedulers on FreeBSD and
Linux boxes behave, especially for multithreaded applications.

Myth2 runs, as does Unreal Tournament and Quake3.  The latter two may
require a bit of work to get a 3d accelerator card running.