Date:      Sat, 4 May 2002 03:53:46 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Demote Root, Promote UserX?

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 05:51:46PM -0500, Steven Lake wrote:
> 	I saw something similar to this mentioned with Windows 2000 that
> you could do to deture hackers, and I was curious if it's possible with
> Fbsd?  Can you rename the Root account or possibly demote it, then promote
> a lower user account, say something along the lines of "Admin1" or
> something to that respect, to the roll of root and not screw anything up?
> Or if that's not possible, can you add another user with the same powers
> as root while disabling root itself?
>
> 	I'm just jabbing for ideas to stop a hacker who might be hacking
> in looking for the root account to take control of a machine by allowing
> them to hit an account with zero privaledges and go absolutely nowhere.
> Of course we plan to be monitoring and catch them if they do, but I want
> to slow them down or stop them if possible using this.

The important part of the "root" user account is the UID of 0.  The name
is totally arbitrary.  It is simply convention that dictates it be called
root.

Take a look in the default /etc/passwd - you'll see two entries with UID
0 - "root" and "toor".  The difference is simply the default shell.  Both
have full super-user rights, imparted by the UID.  Incidentally, each
account can (and probably should) have its own password.

So, you can create another user account with any (legal) name, assign it
UID 0, disable the "real root" user, and there you go.

I believe under NT/Win2000, things are very different - every user has
its own SID, as does each group.  You then assign rights and permissions
to these users and/or groups - no SID is of itself inherently privileged
without that association.

UNIX systems don't support this notion of "promoting" or "demoting" users
in the same way as Windows.  (As far as I know, at least)

The upshot is, if your account called "root" has UID of, say, 2500, then
it is only a normal user account.  Likewise, an account by any name but
with UID 0 is super-user.

It's late, and I hope this makes sense, and isn't too wildly inaccurate...
;-)

Dan