Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2000 17:45:32 +0100 (CET)
From:      Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
Cc:        Leif Neland <leif@neland.dk>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: 2 hours to compile mysql?

On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, Will Andrews wrote:

> [ moved to freebsd-ports ]
>
> On 01-Jan-00 Leif Neland wrote:
> > So far it has been taking 2 hours to compile sql_yacc.cc from mysql3.22.
>
> This is an indication that something is SERIOUSLY wrong! MySQL has never taken
> my PII-450 w/ 128MB RAM more than, say, 10-15 minutes to build/install.

It finally succeded after 3 hours or so (weren't watching anymore... ;-)
Your 15 minutes also corresponds with my 25 or so real time as show by
top, the rest of the time spend by swapping. I had dedicated a huge:-)
280MB disk for swap, so you can guess the speed of that..
You have double the ram of I, so you probably don't swap, althoug I did
see a max size of 170M.

Paul DuBois, paul@snake.net suggested the use of running configure
--with-low-memory, perhaps the makefile could do that by itself, if it was
defined what should be considered low memory.

Leif