Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 1999 14:45:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <wotan@fosburgh.dyndns.org>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.a Invalid format

On 6 Apr 1999, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy@worldnet.fr> writes:
>
> > On  6 Apr, [Here was data encoded in koi8-r, which can not be displayed] wrote:
> > > Try to make it from ports (pkg_delete xemacs befor from ur system)
> >
> > I install from package from the first CDRom. First, I made a pkg_delete
> > to uninstall the 228R package and install the 31R using pkg_add.
> > Xemacs-20.4 is not available as a port on the WCreek cdroms.
>
> Okay, just to make sure it makes it into the archives:
> You can't install 3.x packages on a 2.x system.

Read below in the section you quoted to get this in the archives.

> [At least, not without doing some rather extensive upgrades --
> extensive enough that if you'd done them, you would know enough that
> you wouldn't need to ask this question.]
>
> It's always a chancy thing to install packages from a different
> FreeBSD version, but it's downright impossible in this case.
>
> Be well.
>
> [and to make searches find the error message in this message]
> >> I have just upgrade from 228R to 31R. When trying to start Xemacs (from

3.1-R is running on the system in question.  When I was getting the error,
it was while running 3.1-R packages on a 3.1-R system.  I think an upgrade
to 3.1-STABLE is needed to fix this but I do not know for sure if that is
what fixed it for me.

 > >> 228R), I have the following message :
> >>   /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.a Invalid format

Jonathan Fosburgh