Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 21:49:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        DTURNER@ubt.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Major oops....

> On Sat, 13 Apr 1996, DTURNER wrote:
>
> >      An intern was working on my freebsd machine today and deleted "Some
> >      files by accident..." (yeah right). Anyway when ever I do a restart,
> >      the network daemons come up with the following error:
> >
> >      cannot determine local host name.
> >
> >      Each message is slightly different; but, they all say the same
> >      thing.... some very important file was nuked.
>
> I would check your /etc directory, specifically sysconfig, resolv.conf,
> and hosts.
>
> Doug White

	I'd suggest going to your most recent backup and doing
	a non-overwriting restore of the /etc/ directory or
	(depending on the nature of the backup system you're doing)
	getting an index of all the files that have disappeared
	since your last full back (systemwide sans /home or /export/home
	or whatever you use).

	I'd also suggest that you review your security policies
	and implement some rules (no one should log in as root --
	anyone who su's to root should run 'script' to record their
	whole su session, that sort of thing).  This would be a
	good time for your intern to learn about backups and
	restore/compare procedures.

	It is very easy to remove files by accident (regardless of
	OS).  Some OS' nag you with a million confirmations for every
	little thing (Windoze) -- and all users learn to hit "yes" to
	everything (net benefit: nil).  Some OS' have a two stage
	deletion process (delete/remove followed by purge/salvage/commit)
	(My personal favorite -- problem: filesystems run so close to full
	so often that the purge/salvage timing window can be very small)
	Unix forces you to learn good habits (especially backups and a
	number in the  "type slower and double check" variety) and
	strongly support the adoption of system policies (mount
	everything "read-only" as often as possibly -- and only
	su and remount when absolutely necessary).

	I like the chattr/lsattr (advanced attributes feature) in the
	ext2fs filesystem for linux.  I've heard rumors that some other
	filesystems on other *nix' have similar features.  In particular
	there is an "immutable" option that prevents anyone (root included)
	from modifying a file in any way.

	Basically I am now in the habit of setting that flag on all my
	/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/lib, and similar files.  Thus, even
	as root, I can't remove, overwrite, chown, chmod, or otherwise
	damage any of my system files.  It doesn't add any security to
	speak of  -- but it does offer my users a level of protection
	from those nights when I'm here too late (after way too much
	coffee) and from the occasions that my boss or my Netware
	supervisor (the only other with root access to these systems)
	have to make "just one quick change" (which they won't do unless
	I'm nowhere to be found -- and it's an *emergency*).

	So,  can we get similar support for FreeBSD?

Jim Dennis,
System Administrator,
McAfee Associates