Date:      Tue, 29 May 2012 11:42:49 +0200
From:      Frank Staals <frank@fstaals.net>
To:        Ciprian Dorin Craciun <ciprian.craciun@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "Cloud" software ?

Ciprian Dorin Craciun <ciprian.craciun@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Frank Bonnet <f.bonnet@esiee.fr> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I'm searching for a "cloud software" :-)
>>
>> More precisely we would like to offer to our students and professors
>> a kind of private cloud to access/manipulate =C2=A0their personnal data
>> from almost anywhere and with almost any devices ...
>> ( Personnal PC, Mac, smartphones =C2=A0 and tablets ... etc )
>>
>> Anyone could help ?
>> Thank you
>

>     Although it's not "cloud"-labeled, and:
>     * if you're interested only in data (as in files) management;
>     * and you want to host it your self;
>     , you could take a look over OpenAFS. It's quite nice, works over
> WAN, supported on most modern OS's, and has strong authentication and
> authorization. (I don't know about Smartphones, tablets, etc.)
>
>     Ciprian.

Hmm that sounds interesting. Do you know how persistent the local cache
is? If I do something like: open some (large) remote file (hence the
large file is transferred to the client), reboot the client, and reopen
the large file again. Is the large file then transferred again?
(assuming no other clients changed the file in the mean time). The
website is not particularly specific about the caching policy. If the
file is only transferred once it could be useful to sorta kinda fake
something like dropbox.=20

Regards,=20

--=20

- Frank