Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2006 14:19:16 -0700
From:      Frank Jahnke <jahnke@sonatabio.com>
To:        carton@Ivy.NET
Cc:        Freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Terrible hme throughput

fj>> using scp on a large file are about 1.3MB/s.

> try an scp to localhost.
>
> 1MB/s is about what I get with 500MHz UltraSPARC IIe.  The scp built
> into Solaris (compiled with Studio or Forte or something I assume) is
> a little over twice as fast on a 440MHz UltraSPARC IIi.  sorry I can't
> compare exactly the same hardware, but I'm assuming the compiler is
> probably the difference.

Well, I get about 0.9MB/s using scp to copy from the original file to
localhost.   The overhead on both ends of the transfer undoubtedly explains
the (slightly) lower transfer rates.

*Sheesh*

OTOH, I recall that people are using this level of hardware as routers, and
I recall them getting about 30Mb/s (or 4MB/s) through them.  Is there really
that much overhead with scp?

Frank