Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2002 13:23:20 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Dale Morris <dlm@well.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: thinkpad/xircom card

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 02:14:43PM -0800, Dale Morris wrote:
> I'm trying to get networking functioning on my ibm thinkpad and it
> doesn't recognize my Xircom 10/100 Modem 56 pcmcia card. Error message
> is:
> pccardd[50]: driver allocation failed for Xircom(CreditCard Ethernet
> 10/100 + Modem 56): Device not configured
>
> I'm using version 4.5 of FreeBSD, does it support this card? I did a
> fast search on google, someone else asked the same question in Dec. but
> unfortuantely there was no reply showing.

It's definitely supported, but the PCCARD changes in 4.4 seem to disagree
with it on many systems... I haven't had time to look into this properly
yet.

Try this:

sysctl -w machdep.pccard.mem_start=0xd0000

then insert the card (you may need to kill & restart pccard as well).  If
0xd0000 doesn't work, you could also try 0xd4000 and 0xd8000, maybe
0xcc000.  When/if you find the address that works, you can have it set at
boot time with a line in /boot/loader.conf:

machdep.pccard.mem_start="0xd0000"

or whatever.  This Google thread has some more info on this problem:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&frame=right&th=27c71d72388fe8bd&seekm=20020114214233.000445D1A_ptavv.es.net%40ns.sol.net#link1

Do other cards work for you on this machine?

	Scott