Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 10:36:34 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        cr@jcmax.com (Cyrus Rahman)
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No luck, still!

Cyrus,

original message:

>>But there is a problem that occurs while I stream in lots of data from an
>>SMC 100mbit ethernet card while the cpu's are busy.  Namely, if I generate
>>an interrupt from the ISA bus the system freezes up completely with some
>>regularity.  Moving the PS/2 mouse or using the sound card are both pretty
>>good ways of doing this.
>>
>>The problem doesn't occur if I stream data in through the same SMC card at
>>10mbit/sec, or (at least, not as often) if the cpu's aren't busy.
>>
>>The problem also doesn't occur with the UP kernel or if APIC_IO isn't
>>enabled.

latest status:

> Tried setting up the com1 terminal for debugging - works till the system
> locks up, then isn't useful.  I also added a timer to hardclock, to cause a
> panic - but it doesn't get called either while things are locked up, so the
> system is locked up > splclock.
>
> At this point I'm sort of baffled.  It would probably be easy to fix if I
> could get a dump, but nothing seems to be cause one.
>
> I sort of wonder if it's not waiting in the same area, with interrupts off,
> that it ends up when it receives a floating point exception.
>
> Cyrus

---
I'm putting this back on  freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG to get a wider
audience of potential help.

---
I went back over your mailings and could find no specific mention of the
date of your 3.0-current, so thats question one.

---
Q #2 then becomes whether your goal is to get a stable SMP, or to get the
most recent 3.0-current happy with SMP again.

If your goal is just a stable SMP then you need to use -current as of the
date of last sync:

Peter says:

--
Steve Passe	| powered by